May 11, 2012
JP's Weekly Walk-Off: Utah
The Beavers head to Salt Lake City for both their first Pac-12 series and their first road series against the Utah Utes. The Utes have found life in the Pac-12 to be a struggle, and the Beavers will look to put three more wins in the book as they build their post-season resume.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Friday: Stanford 8 - OSU 2 - Wetzler took a 5-hit shutout into the 8th inning, was pulled after allowing a pair of singles to open the inning, and the bullpen imploded from there allowing 3 in the 8th and 5 in the 9th to turn a winnable game into a Stanford blow-out.
- Saturday: OSU 4 - Stanford 2 (10 innings) - Fry went the distance for his third complete game of the season, and while the walk and pair of hits he surrendered in the 9th lead to two Stanford runs, the Beavers escaped with the win without having to go to their shaky bullpen.
- Sunday: OSU 5 - Stanford 4 - Child limited the Cardinal to 2 runs on 4 hits through 7 innings, and the Beavers carried a 4-2 lead into the 9th, but the bullpen surrendered two runs in the 9th (giving Stanford nine 9th inning runs on the weekend) to force extra innings. Ryan Dunn dropped a two out bases loaded single into left-center to up the Beavers' season record to 3-2 in extra-inning games.
- Tuesday: Oregon 3 - OSU 2 - After the hosts scored three 2-out runs in the bottom of the first, OSU pitchers surrendered just three hits and no runs the rest of the way. After pulling to within a run heading to the 9th inning, the Beavers could not extend the game after two men reached base in the final frame.
THE WEEK AHEAD
After playing four games against highly ranked teams last week, the task becomes much easier this week with a series at conference cellar-dweller Utah, and their final mid-week contest against Portland.
- Friday: OSU (LHP Wetzler 5-2, 3.13) at Utah (RHP Duke 2-4, 4.03) 11:00 am
- Saturday: OSU (LHP Fry 5-3, 2.21) at Utah (RHP Pond 3-8, 6.41) 11:00 am
- Sunday: OSU (RHP Child) at Utah (RHP Watrous 2-4, 3.20) 11:00 am
- Tuesday: OSU (TBA) vs. Portland (TBA) 5:35 pm
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!