March 9, 2012
JP's Weekly Walk-Off: NIKE Showcase
After spending most of the first three weeks of the season in airports, motels, and unfamiliar ballparks, the Beavers finally get the luxury of sleeping in their own beds and stepping across the white lines onto their home field at Goss Stadium. As the last tune-up before conference play commences, and in front of the home crowd, this will be a week both the coaches and the fans will be looking for confirmation the team is ready to start Pac-12 play.
THE WEEK THAT WAS
- Thursday: St. Mary's 5 - OSU 4
- Friday: OSU 9 - Winthrop 4
- Saturday: OSU 6 - Saint Louis 5
- Sunday: OSU 11 - Northern Illinois 3
The loss in the opener seemed a little more palatable when the Gaels knocked off ASU in the tournament finale, but it still was a disappointment. Otherwise, while perhaps not in spectacular fashion, they took care of business against opponents that should beat.
THE WEEK AHEAD
The mix of opponents this week is a good mix that should present an escalating level of challenge, as WVU and Illinois are lower tier teams in marginal conferences; UConn is a solid program with back-to-back post-season appearances (but expected to fall off a bit this year), and Oklahoma presents the first top-20 opponent the Beavers will face.
- Friday: West Virginia @ OSU - 5:35pm
- Saturday (1): Illinois @ OSU - 3:00pm
- Saturday (2): Connecticut @ OSU - 7:00pm
- Sunday: Oklahoma @ OSU - 11:00am
WVU (6-6), picked 10th of 12 in the Big East preseason poll.
- Player to watch: Ryan McBroom .348, 7 RBI
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Corey Walter (1-1, 4.41)
- Illinois (4-5), picked 6th of 6 in the Big Ten preseason poll.
- Player to watch: 1B Jordan Parr .353, 2 HR, 11 RBI
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Matt Milory (0-1, 3.52)
- UConn (4-6), picked 3rd of 12 in the Big East preseason poll.
- Player to watch: 1B Tom Verdi .375, 2 HR, 14 RBI
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Jordan Tabakman (1-0, 3.86)
- Oklahoma (9-3), Ranked #18, picked 3rd of 9 in the Big-12 preseason poll.
- Player to watch: Hunter Lockwood .326, 5 HR, 15 RBI
- Starting Pitcher: TBA
For OSU, Wetzler will start the opener vs. WVU, and the rest of the slots are TBA.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial